Yesterday I traveled to the Volta region of Ghana (the southeastern region bordering Togo) to attend a monthly assessment meeting for PI’s Youth Friendly Services (YFS) program in both the Ho and Akatsi districts. The YFS program has two main components: (1) making reproductive health facilities more “youth-friendly” (separate procedure and counseling rooms, more convenient hours, lower fees, staff trained to talk to adolescent groups in a non-judgmental manner etc.) and (2) training peer educators to perform outreach efforts in order to disseminate sexual and reproductive health information as well as refer their peers to the health facilities, if necessary. Assessment meeting is really too formal a title for what I observed; the meetings were an opportunity for the peer educators and the service providers (mainly nurses and midwives working at the YF facilities) to come together and share both the successes and challenges of their work.
It was really amazing for me to listen to the peer educators talk about their work. Both YFS and peer educators are terms that I’ve heard thrown about during my two years at PI, but I don’t think I ever fully understood the need or the importance of these types of programs before today. Many of the peer educators in the Akatsi District talked about how STIs, HIV/AIDS, unwanted pregnancy, and drug abuse are plaguing the young people of their community. I asked many of the peer educators why they became involved in this work (they range in age from 17 to mid-twenties) and every one cited these problems in the local community and the need he/she felt to help his/her peers. When asking this question, I was expecting a more involved—or at least more varied—response, but I think the simplicity of that answer reveals both the complexity of the problem and the (small but) meaningful impact of the singular actions of these peer educators.
One young man, Patrick, led a group of four fellow peer educators, to visit two schools to talk about STI transmission, prevention, and treatment as well as the dangers of teenage pregnancy within the context of a broader discussion on family planning. He relayed the fact that the students at the schools were quite engaged and very participatory during the session and the schools’ administration, because of the positive response by the students as well as the peer educators’ ability to lead the session in the local language, requested a second visit by the group. Beyond this success at the school, Patrick went to talk to the local assemblyman and arranged for the airing of the peer educators’ presentation on a local radio station that is broadcast in public areas throughout the town; the presentation is expected to air in three towns in the coming weeks. The initiative needed to organize and perform all those tasks—while receiving no pay…while talking about sexual health with perfect strangers…while traveling long distances—is truly extraordinary…at least, that’s more than I do in an average day.
5 comments:
Patrick sounds as if he is going to be a force in his community in many ways - not just for PI outreach. What an ideal way to reach the young people through such peers. The blog helped to make Pathfinder work much more real to me. (I loved the airport baggage story - those Americans!! giving permission to break locks! and at long last - Jesus enters the web world.)
Christine
well, unfortunately, i just got a crash course in how to reply to a blog...and my first two entries got crushed in the process!
i'll see if i can remember what i wrote!
basically, i loved your first blog and it was not read by only your mother! it was both a great story and a superbly well written one! please keep us updated as your time allows b/c i am learning as you learn and i feel like i'm 'with' you on your journey!
what would be the biggest difference you have noticed between our places? it seems you are encountering a staggering commitment to 'community'?
love
robin
I love your blog Nancy, thanks so much for doing this.. It's great to hear a firsthand account of PI's YFS work, even though I've been removed from PI for a little while now.. Can you believe I got mixed up with Bible translators in Mali too haha they're everywhere! Take care of yourself! Can't wait to read more & see photos! xoxo Alison
Nancy,
This is so interesting! It also helps to bridge the thousands of miles between our Pathfinder work. You are already giving a face to ur work--I can't wait to read more and to see what you are capturing digitally.
This is so fascinating! I've been wondering about what you've been up to all week, so I'm glad to read all the details.
The youth services aspect of Pathfinder's work is really interesting--I never thought of the necessity of it!
Anyway, I am happy to tell you I've officially added you to my Google reader, so I will be checking in quite frequently, so keep the updates coming! I can't wait to read more.
Post a Comment