There are ridiculous amounts of street vendors throughout Accra. Some have stands that sell food, water and minerals (what Ghanaians call soft drinks), but most are people who wander on the sidewalks and throughout traffic peddling a huge and unbelievably strange variety of items to pedestrians and the passing cars. I timed five minutes sitting in traffic on High Street, one of the main roads in Accra, and wrote down every item that came by:
Reading glasses, wooden figurines, soccer balls, children’s plastic toys, calling cards, peanuts, posters with the alphabet on them, chips, wallets, cell phones, CDs (was tempted by the old school Whitney Houston), hair brushes, shoe polish, ping pong balls/paddles, Ghanaian and other (American included) flags, flip flops, hats of all sorts, children’s clothing, hangers, newspapers, ice cream, neck ties, traditional-looking shirts, inflatable globes…and my favorite…some sort of exercise contraption entitled the tummy trimmer (this one came by twice).
PS – I know everyone wants to see photos…I’m working on it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
HA! I love that the "tummy trimmer" came by twice. Would you mind picking one up for me? ;)
Yes, pictures please!
When you originally mentioned the facilities, I naively just assumed that the "counseling" involved psychological trauma from the procedure, rather than the serious physical danger from an unsafe abortion. This is but one example of the contrast between our life style and those of the developing world. What courage the young women must have to approach the clinics alone; what fear and pain must they be suffering to move them toward those doors.
Post a Comment