I’ve sat through enough Peter Pan trips between Boston and NY to know that bus lines have a knack for picking whatever movie you have absolutely no interest in seeing and then blasting it throughout the bus for the entire ride. During the 12 hours riding to and from Kumasi I learned that Ghanaian bus lines also have this unique ability for aggravation. However, in Ghana, the movies are not the usual American duds (a la Cheaper by the Dozen 2), but Nigerian-made blockbusters! Produced by Nollywood (Nigeria’s answer to Hollywood), each of these films lasts just under two hours and are, individually and as a group, the worst and most bizarre movies I have ever seen. They are seriously awful; I spent the entirety of each bus ride either making confused faces at the TV or hysterically laughing to myself. My favorite by far was Jadon the Godfather, which starred two little people (suffering from the same condition as Gary Coleman, so they look like children) who are in love with the same average height woman. The best part was that the little people’s characters were excessively rich and this was shown through much champagne drinking and very extravagant clothing including brightly colored silk dress shirts, cowboy hats, and gold walking sticks. I was rewarded for my attentive viewing by a showing of Jadon the Godfather PART TWO, which directly followed the original. I don’t think either has made its way to YouTube…but this ridiculousness should definitely be shared.
Monday, July 28, 2008
“Get your copy now”
I’ve sat through enough Peter Pan trips between Boston and NY to know that bus lines have a knack for picking whatever movie you have absolutely no interest in seeing and then blasting it throughout the bus for the entire ride. During the 12 hours riding to and from Kumasi I learned that Ghanaian bus lines also have this unique ability for aggravation. However, in Ghana, the movies are not the usual American duds (a la Cheaper by the Dozen 2), but Nigerian-made blockbusters! Produced by Nollywood (Nigeria’s answer to Hollywood), each of these films lasts just under two hours and are, individually and as a group, the worst and most bizarre movies I have ever seen. They are seriously awful; I spent the entirety of each bus ride either making confused faces at the TV or hysterically laughing to myself. My favorite by far was Jadon the Godfather, which starred two little people (suffering from the same condition as Gary Coleman, so they look like children) who are in love with the same average height woman. The best part was that the little people’s characters were excessively rich and this was shown through much champagne drinking and very extravagant clothing including brightly colored silk dress shirts, cowboy hats, and gold walking sticks. I was rewarded for my attentive viewing by a showing of Jadon the Godfather PART TWO, which directly followed the original. I don’t think either has made its way to YouTube…but this ridiculousness should definitely be shared.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow. I must see this movie, looks like a good one!
Post a Comment