After being in Accra for three weeks, I have finally realized…that I am traveling by myself—forging my own travel adventure with merely my own (sometimes very mundane) thoughts, many books, and the passing world as entertainment. I don’t dislike the experience so far…but without the laughter of friends and the courage of companionship, the world can feel very big and the adjustment to a new place can take a bit longer. Encouraged by a co-worker to “roam” I have started to do just that—roaming the diverse neighborhoods of Accra, getting called an “obruni” (white person), paging through my tour book, getting brutally lost, bumping my head on Tro-tros, eating from street stands, and stealthily whipping out my camera to take photos of whatever I happen to pass. Accra is a big city like any around the world; it is noisy, dirty and difficult to navigate. The sites are few and far between—a lighthouse here, a museum there, and a monument…somewhere?—and any hope of a tour is far gone. Nonetheless, I believe I am conquering it (albeit VERY slowly) and every day make at least one useful discovery amidst all the confusion.
This past weekend I managed to escape the horn-honking bustle of Accra and visited Cape Coast and Elmina (see next post for details of my tours of the slave castles). It was amazing be able to follow a map and walk the length of a town without having to negotiate a taxi or decipher the mystery language of the Tro-tros. Both Cape Coast and Elmina are fishing villages and I loved having a peak at the rickety fishing boats as well as the bustling market where the catches are sold. I met two English med students on the bus ride from Accra (who are doing an ob/gyn
So, I’m getting used to traveling alone…and, like the big bad city of Accra, it’s something worth conquering slowly but surely. But, if it involves beautiful beaches, new companions and interesting sites…it might be worth conquering a bit faster.
2 comments:
Hi Nancy,
Kelly and I send you a big HELLO from NH. The posts have been great and we can't wait to try some homemade banku when you get back.
aah, nancy-that subtle sense of humor! an introvert having an extrovert's adventure!! i love it!
and that is exactly what you are doing! but you are one very brave introvert and your journey is your own 'act of courage'.
amazing.
love
robin
Post a Comment